Saturday, June 28, 2008

Getting to Know...Meredith

1. How would you describe your running 10 years ago?
I would have been 14 at that point, so any running that I did would have been for basketball or lacrosse. At that point, sports were a huge part in my life and I was quick to conclude that the only reason someone would run was if they weren’t good enough to make a sports team – kind of a “those that can’t, run” mentality. Ha! I was so mean back then. But now I have so much respect for runners and cross-country athletes.

2. What is your best and worst run/race experience?
My best race experience would have to be completing the Derby Festival Mini-Marathon in April of 2008 with Sarah, Kat, Kelly, and Amber. Everything was perfect: the weather, the food, the friends, and my half-marathon PR of 2:03:03.

Worst…hmmm, I’m going to have to say my Flying Pig marathon experience this past May. The whole trip was a disaster (if you haven’t already, please see my posts from May 2008 on www.23goingon60.blogspot.com to learn more about the whole ordeal). However, I had a great time with my family and I wouldn’t trade the weekend for anything.

3. What are your top 5 running songs?
Hmmm. These tend to change every few months, so I will include a spattering of perennial favorites, plus a few current favorites (in no particular order).

1. “Bleed It Out” by Linkin Park
This song gets me so pumped up. Like put my fist through a wall kind of pumped up.

2. “Viva La Vida” by Coldplay
It was the wicked and wild wind, blew down the doors to let me in, shattered windows and the sound of drums, people couldn’t believe what I’d become’ – This line gives me goosebumps.

3. “Lip Gloss” by Lil Mama
Thank you, Charis, for introducing me to the phenomenon that is Lil’ Mama

4. “Shake it Off” by Wilco
The groove in this song is something to behold. I know I probably look like a misplaced fool running through the streets of Nicholasville bobbing my head and snapping my fingers, but I just can’t help it!

5. “Right Now” by Van Halen
Some “running” songs will come and go, but this one will always stick with me. It was pumping in my earbuds when I crossed the starting line and finish line of the Louisville Marathon in October of 2007.

4. What is your favorite pre-race meal?
It depends on the length of the race. My favorite pre-marathon meal would have to include a small bowl of Corn Flakes with a banana, a Starbucks Doubleshot, a peanut butter Clif bar, and of course, water. For a 5k or 10k, I usually just eat a bowl of cereal with a banana, and drink a Gatorade/water mix.

5. What is your favorite post-race meal?
Has to be a McDonald’s double cheeseburger Mighty Kids Meal with a small Coke. For dessert, either a vanilla ice cream cone from McDonald’s, or a package of peanut M&M’s. Or both.

6. Where is your favorite place to run?
My favorite place to run is in Alexandria, Louisiana, where Chad is from. We try to spend a week or so each August in Louisiana visiting family and friends. Chad’s dad is a runner, and I usually get to run with him and his running partner a few times while we are visiting. Then, I usually hop in their pool and stay in it all morning. It just doesn't get much better than that!

7. Why do you want to run the Columbus Marathon on October 19th, 2008?
I am very excited about embarking on this journey with Sarah, Kelly, Melissa, and Stephanie. It will be a time to not only improve our physical health and push our bodies to the limit, but also a time to deepen friendships, practice accountability, and learn from one another.

I am looking to better my current marathon time by 35 minutes with a 4:30 finish, and I am seeking redemption from my Flying Pig marathon experience.

No comments: