Thursday, July 17, 2008

This weekend's 10 miler

We are getting ready to do our first double-digit run (10 miles) of the training season this Saturday. With our mileage increasing and the thermometer rising, I thought it might be necessary to bring up the idea of taking in calories during our long training runs.

I found this article on Run the Planet about eating and calorie intake while running. This is such a widely debated topic (what to eat, when to eat, how much to eat, what flavor gel, caffeine or no caffeine, to drink water or sports drink, do I drink both, and on and on and on...) and I've found that it really is best just to test out different things and listen to your body. But this article had some really good information about the "hows" and the "whys" of eating while running.

I used to elaborately plan out and calculate all the aspects of eating while running, but I found that to be more exhausting than the running itself! For instance, here is a picture of just a few of my supplies before an 18 miler in Lexington last summer:










Color-coded and everything.

Now I just stick a few Shot Blocks in my pocket, and try to drink water as strategically as possible. I used to drink way too much water and spent too much time seeking out restrooms.

See you bright and early on Saturday to get in the 10 miles!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

try this out- it is awesome. the only water that is microstructed with oxygen- it will deliver oxygen to your body immediately upon drinking 1 ounce. You will see a definite and marked improvement in your endurance! I buy it online at www.clickandgomall.com

Unknown said...

As opposed to the quackery in the previous post, I reccomend you use a new hydration tool called 'AquaJoe'. It's a powder holder/dispenser for athletes. It's ideal for runs where there is access to clean water. There is a video of it on www.aquajoe.com .

*K. Grace said...

Meredith...I will just do my best not to pass out. ;) Went to the doctor today & received some more info. promising stuff. i'll write more about it later.

Anonymous said...

GOOD LUCK ON THE 10!!!